Friday, December 9, 2011

What I'm listening to

It's been a few weeks and I'm still loving my Christmas music, go figure!

Today I am recommending Chris Tomlin's Christmas album "Glory in the Highest."

I've talked about Chris Tomlin in the past, but I'm going to gild the lily just bit more. I just love this guy, he just keeps quietly cranking out solid worship songs. I don't think of him so much as a performer, even though I do like his live stuff, he's just a solid songwriter and a gifted worship leader.

He writes worship that is humble, biblical and, most of all, approachable. Sometimes a worship leader writes a huge powerful worship song that will just blow your head off, but it isn't really singable by your average congregation. They get so intimidated that they end up listening to the band play a really worshipful song.

Alternatively, they write a song that is beautifully poetic but can feel awkward or confusing to a lot of worshippers.

Don't get me wrong, I love interesting, surprising, melodic lines, huge dynamics, and a beautiful lyric. This kind of artistry honors God and inspires worship, but I do not like when people feel excluded from congregational worship because they are intimidated by the music. Chris Tomlin manages to write music that is beautiful, thoughtful, worshipful and singable. He's just an anointed worship leader and I love the work he's doing.

So trust Chris Tomlin to take make Christmas music really worshipful. As a bonus, he took a Christmas song I don't really love, Joy to the World, and made it fun to sing (Bebo Norman does this too!).

What are you listening to??

No comments:

Post a Comment