Sunday, March 4, 2012

Haiti: A Peace Offering

Wow, it's been a while (I love posts that start with that...)

I have been working on a project for my church since about Christmas. This project has been taking up most of my attention recently and, let's be honest, projects for me are rarely quick endeavors. Speaking of which...

Last week, I was planning on finally sharing a wrap-up of my Haiti experience but, over the past month, I have been force to admit that I really don't know how to share the experience in a meaningful way. That's incredibly lame, I'm sorry. The truth is that I have some pretty complex feeling about Haiti, what ministry means there, and what the trip in November trip meant to me personally.

I was so very well supported that I recognize that failing to really offer something tangible to my supporters is a let down. It's really not something I want to excuse, but I hope you will still find some grace for me. Believe me when I tell you have, literally, pages of journal notes and outlines, several word documents and a couple of photo galleries all dedicated to trying to tell you what happened to me in Haiti. But I haven't been able to get a handle on what it all means.

So, again, I'm sorry for breaking all those promises to "share something soon," I feel very bad about that.

Please know that I deeply appreciate your support. Because of all the prayer, God is continuing a deep work in my heart, several Compassion staff members and pastors were encouraged and many children were loved. At least three children were sponsored as a direct result of this trip.  Additionally, there was so much financial support, that I was able to give two gifts of $350 to two of the projects that we visited. That represents a half of a year's salary for many Compassion families in Haiti.

Selfishly, I held back from sharing many of my photos because I wanted you all to see a "finalized" project.  Now that the project I had envisioned has been temporarily shelved, I would like to share some of the many photos I took.

Thank you again for your support and your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment