Thursday, November 17, 2011

Two Journeys 4

I'm in Haiti! If you think of it, send up a prayer for me and our team. While I'm traveling, I wanted to share another, slightly less exciting, journey with you. I found out I was gluten-intolerant a few years ago and, while this may not seem like a particularly compelling journey, I've learned some interesting things about myself along the way.
-----------------------------------------------------


Hey, thanks traveling down this little neurotic road with me! I am hoping that at the very least you've been amused and, just maybe, I've validated your own crazy.

The truth is there are millions of people out there with dietary issues who deal with this kind of stuff every day. Many are actually debilitating. Fortunately, there are also plenty of resources and support available for people like me. But you have to acknowledge that you need help before you can accept it. If we're being honest, I am not ready to accept the way my diet changes my life.

Does anyone else tend to fight with their weaknesses? Do you go at them with a club, just hoping that, given the proper incentive, they will finally buck up and get the job done? Do you push and stretch them like the Mighty Ducks, hoping that they will find some secret inner fire that will spark an inspiring comeback?

It doesn't work for me either, because weaknesses are just weaknesses. They are the thin parts, worn through to nothing. You can't just will them away and you certainly can't beat them away. Holes have to be filled, weaknesses have to be strengthened.

This has been a weird journey so, please, don't miss my point here. If you or I have any area where we are afraid to fail or afraid to ask for help, something is wrong. We are designed to need others, and we are especially designed to need God.
Strengthen the weak hands, And make firm the feeble knees. Say to those who are fearful-hearted, "Be strong, do not fear! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, With the recompense of God; He will come and save you." Isa 35:3-4
Thanks again for walking with me down this road, thanks for letting me be weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment