Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I'm Diving In...

Do you know that song by Steven Curtis Chapman?
"In diving in, I'm going deep, in over my head I wanna be,
Caught in the rush, lost in the flow, in over my head I wanna go,
The river's deep, the river's wide, the river's water is alive,
So, sink or swim, I'm diving in."
I don't listen to much SCC anymore, but this was a good song. He wrote a lot of good songs, why don't I listen to SCC anymore?

This song came to mind this morning, in keeping with this year's One Word theme, I'm trusting in God and in my desires and diving in. I finally started organizing some thoughts that I have been gathering for the past ten years into something that could, possibly, be published.

I hate saying that. I hate putting that desire out there were it can be judged and where I am required to have a responsibility to it. Aren't dreams are easier to have when you know they can't be? It is easy to want to be a professional musician but it is scary to try to be a professional musician. It is easy to dream about being a writer while never trying to be published. It is easy to write a blog that your friends and family read but it is frightening to make it into something for others to read.

It's scary chasing dreams, isn't it. But why else do you have them?

So, I've dug out my dusty stack of journals, pored through, literally, hundreds of word documents with wonderfully descriptive labels like, "thoughts," "mindless ramblings," "rambleramble," and "musings" (yes, those are real filenames), and I'm writing.


I'd be remiss, even butting close to plagiarizing if I didn't mentioned the book, Quitter by Jon Acuff, author of one of the "Blogs I like" on the right. In addition to my amazing friends and family, God has used Jon, a stranger to help nudge me to this point. If you haven't read his blog, Stuff Christians Like, you should. Its very funny. I haven't read this book yet, as it's only on pre-order but you can view a good trailer (I know! Books have trailers!) here. I'm very excited about it!

So now that I've come out, let me ask you: what dream aren't you pursuing today? It's okay to be silly, this is a safe space. I'm a small town girl, with an associates degree, working as a receptionist...but I'm writing a book. What are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment