Friday, February 12, 2010

Book Reviews

Visit my Book Reviews page to read about what I'm reading now.


I love books. Ridiculously. But I have an unfortunate habit of reading a book and then moving on to the next one before properly considering the first. It is my goal to review one book a month. We'll see how that goes...


I finally finished Lord, Save Us From Your Followers: Why is the Gospel of Love Dividing America? by Dan Merchant last night so it has been added to the towering "to review" pile teetering between my dell and the pile of breakfast dishes on my desk. I've been looking for my "roundtoit" on this book since I first watched Dan's documentary last January and I now I'm wondering why it took so long. I have been so blessed by the Lord's work through Dan and co. these past few years. I had been struggling with these questions about the purpose of the Gospel and my disappointments with how we as individual Christians and as a Church have not lived up to our obligation to show the rest of the world God's good news of love and grace. I watched this film and it was as if God said, "There! See, you're not alone and you're not the first one." I felt such a comeraderie with Dan that when I recently had a chance to meet him a screening of the film (which begins it's second theatrical release on February 26th) I had to keep reminding myself, "Whoa, girl, you just met this guy. Don't scare him away!" Any more and I'm going to get into a full-on review right here, but let me just encourage you: read this book, watch this film. If you are a Christian, have thought about becoming a Christian, or have been hurt by a Christian you must read this book, you must watch this film.


Also beginning to gather dust in this pile are:


Love, Acceptance, and Forgiveness, an excellent and quick read by Jerry Cook challenging the priorities and mission of the church especially where it concerns non believers (I read the updated 2009 version).


The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. Definitely the best book I've read in the past year and possibly my life (sorry Dan!). I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob.


Food for Faith by Richard A. Bennett. This very short book (157 small pages) I read the first week of bible college for my hermeneutics class. It completely changed how I approached bible study.


And last but certainly not least, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I'll openly admit that I'm deliberately putting this one off. Just reading the book took about 9-10 weeks so the review is probably going to take at least that long. It was a wonderful book, in my top ten (but was still unable to unseat Ms. ten Boom), but 800 pages? Give me a little break.


Visit my Goodreads page to see what I'm reading now.


I remain faithfully...


Yours in His grace,

Sarah Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment